Mar 6, 2013

(覚書)文字だけで学ぶ時代じゃない!


Only few English, unfortunately, teachers take seriously of using picture books for learning/teaching English. Whenever I have an opportunity, I strongly encourage teachers to read picture books by themselves and see how enjoyable and educational they can be. But many don't seem to understand why I have to be so serious about the things for kids and some of them even doesn't bother to hide their true feelings and put on an expression as if they're sniggering. They're bound to the notion that picture books are only for children. Once you've grown up, you shouldn't read them. But you know what, functions words are abundant in picture books, and I think if you can use function words properly or not is one of the keys to be a good user of English.

What I was thrilled to learn yesterday during the reading aloud time in Jyuku waaas *up*. 
It's an extremely simple story that twenty bears go up and down the escalators. You'd never expect there'd be anything you can learn in such an easy book for very small kids. But I was so much amazed to realize that I must have made a significant? improvement on my using English when I read some lines in the story.
"One bear coming down the *UP*."
"Twenty bears all lined *up*."

You see, there are three types of *up* here and they all function differently. You can learn three functions in just one small book. WOW... (I know, I know, you won't get why I have to be impressed this much with such a tiny word.) It's not just 上 as we learn at school. Up is UP that you need to feel and learn...

Those who take lightly of picture books will likely miss a great chance to learn and acquire the core part of English. Don't you agree?  

No comments: