Feb 10, 2013

(呟き)Mindset

For the last several years, I've kept watching some people closely who do tadoku as a way of learning English and realized that people are roughly divided into two groups; one is the kind of people who don't care how many words they read or what score they can get with tests。They're just happy and thankful for being able to read lots of books relatively cheap than before. The other is a group of people who look very enthusiastic about doing tadoku, but they tend to imitate the reading habit of other tadoku doers and follow a reading path blindly that is recommended by teachers or other people who had made a big success by tadoku. The result is, the people in the first group tend to make a big leap after a certain period of time and widen their  world by using English on business or for a pastime, but the latter are more likely to not have any conspicuous improvements or eccentric experiences that would totally change the view of the purpose to learn English.

While I was reading "Mindset," I came across two paragraphs that I think clearly explain the answer to my concerns.
Mindset: How You Can Fulfill Your Potential
Mindset: How You Can Fulfill Your Potential
"Many growth-minded people didn't even plan to go to the top. They got there as a result of doing what they love. It's ironic: The top is where the fixed-mindset people hunger to be, but it's where many growth-minded people arrive as a by-product of their enthusiasm for what they do.

This point is also crucial. In the fixed-mindset, everything is about the outcome. If you fail--or if you're not the best--it's all been wasted. The growth mindset allow people to value what they'rte doing regardless of the outcome. They're tackling problem, charting new courses, working on important issues. Maybe they haven't found the cure for cancer, but the search was deeply meaningful."  

5 comments:

orihime said...

I've just got a copy of MINDSET(my "first" kindle book!) and started reading it. It is very inspiring. Thank you for recommending it!

Whiskers said...

Have you already finished the book? You really are a fast reader, emmie-san!

You know what? I learned that I have a mixed mindset and sometimes wonder if it's too late to change or not... I'm reading this on telling me that it's never to be late. Better late than never.

Now I want a physical version so that I can see all the encouraging words again and again in the future.

Mrs.Malone_emmie said...

Hi orihime-san, yes, that book is written in the language that everyday person can understand easily and the message is empowering! Isn't it great that we have those members among tadoku doers who can recommend such a wonderful book. Enjoy the read on kindle!!

Mrs.Malone_emmie said...

Hello Whiskers-san, No no noooo! I've read only three chapters so far. It's a book both for February and March that I'd like to savor the messages fully by taking a snail like reading. Huh, you're going to buy a physical one? Do you know Chico-san will keep recommending books as good as Mindset that we're never be short of books to buy. It could be better to save that money for the next one, or... Enjoy together!

Whiskers said...

Oh, I see. I have to think about it. Many students enter our school feeling dejected and defeated. Actually, smarter ones are feeling that way because they failed a university and came to our school. This book will be very helpful for them and for me as a teacher who is supposed to help those students... That's why I thought I should buy one copy. But now, I'll wait and see. Thanks for your advice!