Jan 19, 2013

(呟き)スピーチってやつは。。。

Oh, my! It's already 7 o'clock and in about an hour I have to go to bed. LOL Yeah, I'm living like an infant that I usually go to bed around eight at night. So I'm going to make a super quick? post this time and it's about a speech contest I've watched today.

An English speech contest must be one of the commonly held events at school in Japan, but I always wonder what's so good about making a speech as to keep doing it every year in many schools. I can seen the point of a contest if students write a draft and refine it all by themselves and teachers are there only to give some tips, but I heard it's a common practice for teachers to help the students a lot and rewrite the speech to make it more presentable. I think it's not exaggerating to say that a speech contest is partly for teachers to study...

What I started to wonder after watching the speech today is this; what makes a speech different from a presentation or a storytelling. I heard twelve speeches today, but I felt like some students are like telling a story and others making a presentation. Also I wondered if the speech in the context of Japanese is similar to the one in English speaking countries?

I've got to look for books about speech to find an answer...
英語のスピーチってねーどうなんでしょうねー
なんで英語なのかなあ。



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What actually is a speech? Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing for years. I'm not sure how many teachers and judges of those speech contests know that. You're gonna find it out? Phew. I'll leave the job to you and now I'll enjoy reading Honey and Clover. ;) I'm joking again.

I'll ask my American friend what she thinks a speech is.
Maybe speeches in English have developed in a very unique way in Japan. And then, is it bad or good? I'm getting more confused...

Mrs.Malone_emmie said...

I think the difference in terms of the purpose,
storytelling is for wonder,
presentation for concise,
speech for surprise!
Or?

Whiskers said...

Hmmm.. Speeches are for surprise.
Is that why English speeches in Japan are very often heartwarming stories or tear shedding ones? Because those kinds of stories suit Japanese tastes as a nice surprise?

Emmie-san, you are so smart!