Jan 15, 2013

(呟き)子どもの話はクローズドなとこに書くかなあ


A few days ago I got a call from my daughter living in the dormitory and she asked me if I'd buy her a new smart-phone because she managed to get a high score in TOEIC that she took at her school. Of course I didn't intend to buy since I bought her a smart-phone only a year ago. There shouldn't have been no chance for her to persuade me and talking into buying one.

As I was nudged to give her some score that I think is reasonable for her to obtain a new one as a reward, I was about to say 700, but I thought it should be a little bit higher, just to be safe that I don't need to buy a new one, I gave her the score that I hit for the first time I took the test over twenty years ago; 860. I was fully sure she'd give up on the idea having a new phone. And then, the next moment I heard the score she got, I totally lost myself and only able to say *WHAAAT?!*. The score was way too much higher than I've expected. It can't be true... 

So now, I'm wondering whether I should talk about the test score or the history she's gone through or not. I know my daughter's learning process must be very intriguing and worth sharing among people interested in EFL education, but at the same time, I'm afraid my daughter's achievement is so fascinating, as a kid who hasn't raised in an English speaking country or in regard of efficiency, that it might end up excessively attracting teachers and mothers and they would try to  make their students or kids just imitate what my daughter had done, without well acknowledging the fact that there're various factors behind my daughter's coming up to this stage. Her story could be used only as an anecdote in favor of early EFL education in the elementary school, which I'm totally, strongly against.    

Anyway, I'm going to try to write down what my daughter and I have done for the last ten or so years and share it in a closed community of tadoker teachers and see if I'll share it in a bigger audience. 

2 comments:

Whiskers said...

Even from what little you've shared with us so far, it's obvious that you and your daughter have taken quite a unique path. We have to keep it in mind that the chemistry of all the experiences and your daughter created this extraordinary outcome like our friend said.

Mrs.Malone_emmie said...

I'm still not enough inspired to keep down the path that my daughter's taken; I don't feel I've done anything special to her. After all, how good the approach my daughter has experienced, that can't be implemented at school where individual learning is not properly supported, but only group learning and teaching...