Jan 17, 2013

(覚書)娘の多読①~序~

As I posted many entries at some tadoku doers site a few about ten years around the time my daughter was an elementary student, she is kind of a well known figure among tadoku lovers and it seems many of the people who know me or her naturally think that I'd kept doing things such as reading books or encouraging her to learn English throughout her elementary days. But I'm not such a decided mother as people might imagine, so it's only three years, or maybe even less, that I enjoyed reading books with my daughter.  

It was around when she started going to the elementary school that I read some article about early English education in Japan and other countries and I wondered if I could do something with my kids. Then one day I found an advertisement about becoming a tutor of Labo and got a chance to take lectures in Fukuoka. I was very interested in the possibilities and the wonder of using picture books for learning English. It took me about half a year or something to finish the course, and for some time after the course, I was considering starting a small branch school as a member of Labo.

But I wasn't convicted enough that Labo method is the best one ever nor I'm likely to meet many talented tutors (there were more than ten participants in the course, but I haven't one bit impressed with the English ability of other members), so I ended up not opening my own branch school.

Then one day I got a mail from a mailing list circle and there I found the words *tadoku* or *ORT*. There were actually many young mothers in the net who use ORT for teaching English to their own kids at that time long before ORT got popular among tadoku doers. That's when my lifetime hobby(?) tadoku began. I was so much thrilled with the approach, since other great English teachers I'd met in the past all said that reading lots of books is the key for learning English, so I had little doubt for exercising the approach and started to read ORT and other easy books myself first. After reading one million words and talked with S-san, F-san, and M-san in Fukuoka, I decided to practice the approach with my own daughter. She was in the second year of elementary school then.

そうなんです、私はいきなり子どもに多読って始めたわけじゃなくて、
まず自分で100万語読んで、AHA?!な瞬間を体験して、確信を持ってから、
娘とORTを読むようになったんでした。
結局、子どもを英語嫌いにしたり、親子関係がいびつなものになったりという、
マイナスな方向に向かわなかったのは、
まず自分が大切で、子どもはその次だから、かもですね^^;;;


2 comments:

orihime said...

I am all "ears"( or shall I say all "eyes"?) on the topic you have discussed for a last couple of days.

As Whiskers-san has already mentioned, I can't wait reading more about it!

I agree strongly with you saying that you were the first one who "enjoyed" reading TADOKU books. Looking at the kids at my lessons, I begin to think that you can'T make them leaning unless they themselves want to do so.

Mrs.Malone_emmie said...

Hi orihime-san, how's the weather over there? As you might know, it snowed A LOT in my viewpoint, who's grown up in a town with close to nil snow in winter, so I don't feel like going outside unless I have to buy some stuff to survive^^;;;.

I'm planning to write down in details about my daughter's story, but I'm such an easily distracted person that it'd take some time to complete it from the beginning to this day. Hope you'll be patient.