Apr 27, 2012

英作文にも英借文にもない、書く喜びって

While I was DMing through twitter with one of my tadoku friends, she let me realize that I have a very important topic I should be writing about tadoku. I do tadoku almost everyday and miracles keep happening on me, so I tent to forget what the miracles were really like; too many to write down, but I think this got to be the most marvelous reward for me all through my entire tadoku life.

I'm wring this in English as if I'm wring Japanese sentences. Of course it's not precisely the same. I can write sentences in much lesser time when I write in Japanese. Still, lately, I find myself truly enjoying English writing. It was totally different when I first started writing English at the beginning of this blog. Let me look back and tell you my journey up to this point of relaxing writing.

+++++
That's what I wrote yesterday, but while I was DMing with the same tadoku nakama again, I was hit with another idea to write, so please excuse me, I won't be talking about the actual changes I came through all these several years, but I'm gong to tell you the findings I came to realize. That is what is  wrong with 英作文.  How is my writing process different from the one of 英作文?

I think 英作文 is like constructing a building. First you draw a precise, detailed and perfect plan on a paper, then you start to build along the planning. If your plan is not well constructed, you're likely to make a dysfunctional building. You've got to destroy everything and have to start again from scratch, right?

Now, do I make such a blueprint whenever I write a post in my blog? How about you? Do you always make outlines then start writing an entry? I think many won't care much about that but anyway you start writing. This is just the thing I do now for English writing.

Kind of blur and not showing particular forms, but something I can't let them go. When such a voice get bigger in me and I feel almost ready, then I sit down in front of PC and start to write. No plans. No directions. No frames. I let myself flow in the cloud of thoughts accumulated in myself. The fingers typing a keyboard pull the right words to express my feelings out of my chaotic mind. Sometimes I feel scary and stagger, but other times I feel really excited. It's liberating, truly.

Do you think such a fulfilling and joyful time will occur to you when you do 英作文?For 英作文、you've got to always reminded that you should write grammatically correct sentences and should  choose the right words and phrases. I guess some of you, who studied hart and memorized some 構文 at school, might try to use those pattered sentences even in your own writing.

Hey, it's your own writing. You see? It's not anyone but you. You're writing the sentences. Then why you have to use those ordinary pattered sentences, which you don't know who on earth collected or why they're chosen as sample sentences. Do native speakers always use those expressions? To begin with, have you learned such pattered sentences to write Japanese sentences?

I have to say that with the rules of 英作文, you'll end up creating only ordinary and faceless sentences and people to read yours might be bored to death before reaching to your main message. On the other hand, more free English writing you do after enjoying lots of books and absorbing many expressions naturally can be more colorful and unique. You'll be able to reflect your true self in your writing and that makes it possible to convey your messages to the heart of people. 

(BTW, some people say that writing English can be done with 英借文. But I'm afraid those are extremely careless. If you do 借 too much, then you're more likely be accused of doing plagiarism...)

No comments: