Mar 10, 2012

The Midnight Fox by Betsy Byars

The Midnight FoxThe Midnight Fox by Betsy Byars
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't think I'd be able to write a review easily and long stayed away from doing it. I'm rather a just-do-it-before-think-over person usually, but when it comes to writing, I get excessively nervous and talk myself into giving it up before even giving it a try. Some says writing a review is very good to practice writing if you're a tadoker and I do agree with the idea. But, yet, it took me quite a while to persuade myself into writing one.

Then, the other day in my other blog, I wrote just a tiny bit about a book I've finished for my own record, and contrary to my endless worries, I was writing several sentences with characters' descriptions or about some scenes that I was really impressed and stuck well in my mind before I realized what I was doing, writing a review! I was really pound of myself and I thought writing a review was nothing that extremely difficult as I suspected if I don't try hard to write a good one.

Oh, no, it's got long before I write about today's story.
It was a book I came to know through a site, Children's Book-A-Day Almanac hey! it's a must site to follow if you're an avid reader of children's books.

A city boy, Tom, was asked by mother to spend a summer holiday at his aunt's farm house since his mother was planning to go on a trip for the first time in a long while. At first he was determined not to go there, but he's a nice good boy after all that he didn't want to disappoint his mother, and he unwillingly accepted the request.

He was dreadful when he got there, but one day while he was reading a letter from his friend, he caught a glance of a black fox going around the field. A fox is nothing but a bother for grown-ups as they fetch their precious livestock, so he didn't tell what he had seen to his aunt. Then one morning they found a chicken was stolen and they went out to hunt the fox and finally it was caught and put  in a pen. He knew well that there was nothing he could do by now, but he just couldn't let it be.

One night when a storm was fiercely raging, he sneaked out of the window on the second floor, put his arms around a tree, and went down to the ground with his heart screaming with a fright. He went to the fox and released it from the pen. In the morning the aunt found the boy wet to the skin standing at the entrance and knew what he'd done. Tom was sure he might be scolded, but she didn't say anything. "I never liked to see wild things in a pen myself" was all she said.

こういう一昔前の児童書が持っている、ゆったりしたリズムが好きだなあ。
 

No comments: