Oct 22, 2011

Record of En Lesson for Jyuken

After a long absence, I opened my FB account yesterday and found a biiig news of one of my oddball? friends. I don't have any characteristics akin to her, young minded, free of commonly accepted practices and always filled with curiosity, but I somehow feel comfortable, energized and get excited immensely when I talk with her.

She's about to go on taking a new challenge that seems almost insane in the context of common sense, but I know she's talented and also vigilant enough to make such an endeavor into the real thing. I'm truly honored to be one of her friends. I'll do whatever I can do to catch up with her no matter how little and insignificant that could be.

To keep my word, I'm going to keep a diary of my tadoku lessons with three junior high schoolers.

We have ninety minutes for one lesson and I divide them into three sessions, tadoku, to tackle with the past tests, and to work together with different activities each time.

I let them to do the first tasks, tadoke and the pat test, as an individual study, so they start to read lots of easy books or to work on the past tests right when they get to the class. I sometimes read aloud to just one student even the room is small. My reading aloud doesn't seem to bother other students since they tackle with totally different tasks or read different kind of stories. As for the past text, when they have finished it, I read together or let him/her read it alone and see if they understand the whole story enough to see the main points of the story. I don't go into any details such as grammar or new words and phrases. All of them are aiming for rather difficult high schools in Tokyo, so those cheap techniques necessary to solve complicated grammar concerned questions are not necessary for them. Rather, they've got to be able to read as much sentences as possible in a limited time and grab the main point of each paragraphs even if with some degree of vagueness.

After the two tasks done, we've been enjoying Frog&Toad time for the last several lessons. They're truly fun to read. Every time we listen to the CD of that story, we're likely to giggle and cherish the friendship between the two lovable characters. Also in the last lesson, I read a scary~story from "a dark, dark room" and failed to scare them....... how come...... But they're so kind and grown-up that
they entertained me with their not-scared-scream in the end^^

So, I'm really enjoying my lesson and that's because I'm not responsible for the result of their  Jyuken... I don't think I'll be this happy to do English lesson if I myself were the owner of the clam school. Anyhow, I'm intending to enjoy this not so much committed style of mine for a while about tadoku and English education. I wonder how irresponsible it might sound...

3 comments:

Whiskers said...

Hey, emmie-san.

You know what? The students must be very smart, already at a good level of tadoku or that's because of the great teacher like you.

`Frog and Toad` is actually not an easy book for tadoku beginners, I always think. Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Arnold Lobel and his works. However, to read it in English, the reader must be mature enough. That's where I was impressed!

Looking forward to your regular report of the class!
Happy Reading!

Mrs. Malone said...

Yes, it might be advisable to read/listen to other Arnold Lobel's titles such as mouse tales prior to F&T, but as far as my students are concerned, they don't seem to get lost or anything to follow the story and they actually giggle and chuckle during their listening to the CD. That may be because I let each of them have the same book and listen to the CD together. The easy mood created by together reading might help students relax and make it a bit easier to follow the story somehow, I guess.

I wonder if you can guess who inspired me to keep a report of tadoku lesson... If it were not for her, I'd not be enjoying English this much and wouldn't be exchanging English comments with you, either.^^

Whiskers said...

Huh? Do I know that inpiring friend/mentor of yours? I have no idea... I was imagining that she was from your 'other world.'

Although I don't know that person, I can say you have a lot common with her-young minded, free of commonly accepted practices and always filled with curiosity-that's you! :D