Oct 2, 2011

pleasure reading と analytical reading 使い分けてる?

Tadoku has got to be known quite widely among English teachers, students and grown-ups who're made to take a test such as  TOEIC out of the blue at work in Japan, and some people, not many of course but, are aiming to read up to one hundred million words! by now. Hey, I'm not kidding here, 一億ですよ、はい。Some tadokers are madly into tadoku and have nil idea to go back to the old habit of studying English. You'll be surprised to see how happy they can be when they got together and talk about their tadoku experiences like kids.

On the other hand, it's resentful but apparent that some tadokers don't seem to find anything amazing with their tadoku reading once they've  reached one million words. Some decide to resume English study and try to aim at a higher score with TOEIC or even be allured into other strange methods, sad to say.

Why do you think those completely opposite attitudes are nourished when they do the same tadoku?
There should exist several reasons and I think one of which might be that if they're interested in using English besides reading or not.

Those who have a clear idea that they do tadoku because they want to be a good and fluent user of English and output, speak/write, English some day would naturally change the way of reading books as their purposes require, I assume.

Sometimes they read books for sheer amusement and enjoy being involved in a story wholeheartedly and won't get fussy about the usage of English at all. They don't mind skipping some parts they are not so sure as long as they can feel the story to their heart's content. Other times, learning English usage itself will be their priority than enjoying the story, so they'd read books slowly and analytically and try to learn how English grammar works.

Then what if you're not into using English other than reading books? Do you think you're going to start to take such a tactful reading technique voluntarily? I don't think you can be aware enough what you should be learning while you read books. No matter how many books you read, what you acquire during the reading unconsciously might end up being relatively slim.
 
I believe strong drive to become a good user of English and use English as a tool to get to know people all across the world through speaking and writing English is the key to be a competent tadokers. 
グラマーインユースについて書くつもりが、こういう方向にきてしまった・・・

                  

4 comments:

Whiskers said...

Wow... What should I say... You are really amazing. I just don't know a word good enough to describe you.
I simply expected you to write about why Grammar in Use won't work for some people, and look at what you start to talk about!
You are not an oddball, emmie-san. You are uniquely and very much smart, I say, Ms. Brainy!

I'm a really simple person from a dinosaur age and never thought tadokers would analytically read books. And aren't you the first to mention it? However, come to think of it, it is true that avid tadokers are acquiring English like that. Here again, you are a living proof. Same with slo-san.

And those avid tadokers won't become grammar maniacs. Grammar maniacs would be able to score high in exams and maybe they'll become able to use English(I know in many cases they remain as maniacs. Hee hee). I must say, however, they are learning the hard way.

Okay, I'm totally surprised at your analysis and agree with you, but aren't there also many tadokers who just wanted to read paperbacks? I was like that and just jumped in the sea of books and enjoyed reading, reading and reading... Then I found myself feeling more comfortable using English. Hmmm..I'm not in either category. Well, I love tadoku, that's what matters.

I'm waiting for you to write about Grammar in Use. Three cheers for emmie-san! E-M-M-I-E, emmie, emmie!
;)

Whiskers said...

Sorry, Stalker Whiskers, again.
I was getting ready to go to futon-brushing my teeth and gurgling-and then, this thought hit me: maybe that's why some students who read a lot more than others don't show the progress I secretly expect of them!

Well, I'd better go to futon. Tomorrow is a work day...

Mrs. Malone said...

Let me make a quick short reply first Whiskers-san,

I read you comment that 条件と仮定法とがわけずに説明してあるin grammar in use or something yesterday and I was quite amazed to know the fact that that can be a surprise for you, and maybe other many good^^; learners of English.
For me, it's simply a matter of probability, so when something is not likely to happen, then I'd use "would, could...," and other things with fairly high possibility, I go with simple present tense. とまあ、私の中では条件と仮定って同居してるような気がする。学校英語だと別居状態なのね、それはかわいそうに。

I'm still in the middle of obento making, so I'm coming back and talk to you later!

Whiskers said...

G'morning, emmie-san! How's your obento making going?
I have to get ready, so I make a short reply, too;P.

Because it had been a big surprise for me, I wrote it and after that I thought maybe in Japanese E. Grammar textbooks they are on the same page, too. However, they are given totally different names, right? That's why I had never thought of them related and just found confusing when I first learned. How much my presciou energy I poured into learning them! So I was extra careful when I was teaching them to students. Now I don't teach grammar, that's a relief!

Well, I've gotta go. Talk to you later!