Oct 15, 2011

英語多読図書の公開日でした

It was the open library day for tadoku books at the school where I have Saturday tadoku classes several times a year. We welcomed five visitors today and chitchatted this and that... I'd like them to read silently as many books as they want and also listen to my reading aloud, so I'm always ready to read some picture books, but I usually got excited and forgot what I was intending to do...

Before the open library hour, there were two classes in the morning and they went really good as usual. I don't know why but all the students, about fifteen in each class, voluntarily start to choose books to read and a DVD to watch after my short ten minutes or so lecture. I don't need to hustle them to choose a book at all. I usually try to read aloud to such a student who looks bored and is idling away without doing tadoku, but it's not easy even to find one this year... weird...

For a short lecture, I talked about how the pronunciation of English words alters in the real speech. For example, we learn to pronounce "have a good sleep" as "ハブ ア グッド スリープ” in junior high, but it never be pronounced like that in everyday conversation, right? Almost all the English words are not pronounced as a dictionary tells us, but many of the students still don't know how the sound alters.

One time I told my experience in NY; I usually said "キューズミー” for excuse me instead of saying "イクスキューズミー” then, because if I said the complete sentence "excuse me," to the person I was trying to say sorry, often it was the case that he/she was already gone when I finished apologizing and I missed the chance. So I decided to cut it short, save time and said just "cuse me," then I was able to have a reply of "you're welcome." ^^;;; Many students put on a flash of surprise on their faces.

あれー why I'm writing about pronunciation now...
Anyway, tadoku time this year is always filled with fun and surprises, and I'm truly thankful for that.
 
   

No comments: