Jan 5, 2011

The day when I was fascinated in Koto...

For the last couple of years, I'm heavily into tadoku and other English related activities, so many of you who I came to know me in recent years don't know what I was into when I was single. I was not a bit interested in learning English at that time. I was busy working for a securities company, trying to obtain a certificate to be a junior high/high teacher, and striving to achieve kind of a certification from Miyagi-kai, a famous Koto players' organization, to teach Koto and Shamisen.

Since I got new PC and video tapes are no more in use, I dubbed an old video tape into DVD and uploaded it in my account on YouTube for a trial. (I won't appear so often in the screen but the one lifting its head up and staring into the middle is me... You know, when you play Koto on such a wide stage, the sound the leader makes doesn't reach to your ears, so you can't follow the sound you hear. Instead, you have to look up from time to time and make sure if your rhythm is in harmony with the leader.)

The recording quality is terrible and you have to excuse the noise, but if you're curious what I was like then ;-) or about a Koto stage, then just take a teeny-tiny peek. Whenever I cherish the coming of a New Year, my mind is inevitably pulled back in the old days when I was young and just reckless...

2 comments:

sloppie said...

You...are the one in vivid orange kimono? How cute! Who could imagine the cute girl would grow to be such an otakist who has sharp tongue?

The sound of Koto always reminds me of my mother. She once took Koto lessons and I remember the melody of "六段の調べ" which was one of her favorite. I don't know where is her Koto now...It might have been given or sold to her friend after she'd gone. I cannot play Koto myself, but if mother's koto is existing, I want to listen to its sound.You play Koto with plucking the strings with tsume(爪),the sound is sensitive,sharp and mild, and it is very Japanese, I think.

Thank you for sharing the beautiful Koto music and cute younger emmie.

Mrs. Malone said...

Oh, you spied me correct! I've long forgotten I've ever had such long hair...
I still have two kotos and two shamisens in my tiny house, but they are covered with heavy dust...what a shame.