Sep 2, 2010

kindle3報告 第3弾

Every Wednesday evening, a Tadoku gathering is held at Mr. Sakai's room in Dentsu Univ. The meeting is open for everybody, not only for students or attendants of his courses, so you can join it anytime you're convenient and read lots of easy English books in his office or in a lecture room with many Tadokist, who are eager to pursue the joy of English learning.

Yesterday, I brought my new kindle3 to this meeting and my kindle was able to receive fairly good comments over all. Almost all of the tadokists seem to be amazed at the quality of its screen. There are many similar devices to kindle3 and you can read articles and books on them, but the reading on the screen inevitably leaves some fatigue on your eyes. However, it's unbelievably fatigue-free to read on kindle3. The screen is very smooth and is not shiny at all. It's just like each letter is placed on a mat paper. You're likely start to believe you're actually reading stories on a paper. It sure is a striking experience.

Another aspect that impressed Tadokist was that it's free to be connected to the web with kindle3. For example, you can be connected to your gmail account and read mails or search your favorite sites and bookmark them as many as you want. The letters shown on the screen are terribly small if you want to keep the appearance of the entries similar to that of you see on PC, but surprisingly, it's less tiresome to read entries on kindle3, even with teeny-tiny letters, than to read them on PC.

What I've found useful about my kindle3 yesterday is that it enables you to read books and newspapers even on a terribly crowded train in Tokyo. All you need to have is a small space to keep you kindle3 high in front of your face with your one hand. You can manage to turn the pages while you're holding your kindle3 with the same hand. I don't think any of the amazon staffs, who are working on the development of kindles, are aware of this clumsy use of their products, but kindle3 definitely surpasses other similar gadgets when it comes to the usability in a madly crowded train in Japan. ^^;

4 comments:

Clarissa said...

That's great :) I think it's an excellent piece of technology for people who want more access to overseas publications. I wish licensing rules would loosen up so that it would be easier to get access to everything ...

I suspect one reason it's easy to use one-handed IS because the Amazon designers were thinking of commuters. BART trains (San Francisco Bay Area) and New York subways are crowded too, just not as crowded as Tokyo subways. It's pretty common to not get a seat and need to hang on with one hand and read with another. So something you can use with one hand is perfect. (However, I'd be terrified of dropping it...)

Speaking of Tokyo, I need to send you a private message...

Mrs. Malone said...

Hi Clarissa,

Long time ago when I was in NY, I rode almost every day on a crowded subway, but I got some little space around me, so I've never pushed hard or squeezed by other commuters. But here in Tokyo, I'm freaked out whenever I have to ride on a train during rush-hours. If you'll ever come work in Kanto area, You'd better to choose a place to live depending on how much the commuting trains are crowded. Some lines are not disastrous, but some are deadly if you're careless and fail to protect your body with your bag and the right position...

Dinakarr said...

Thanks! Just two Qs - did you buy the 6" one or the bigger version? and how long did you take to get it?
Bests,
D - another Tokyo commuter!

Mrs. Malone said...

Hi Dinakarr-san,

I bought "Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation."

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reading-Display-International-Generation/dp/B002FQJT3Q

Since I made an order on the very day when Amazon started to accept an order, I was able to get it quite soon. Amazon started to ship a new kindle on 25th August, and I got it on 27th! in my hand.

Some of my friends put an order after the sale has started, and it looks like they needed to wait for two weeks or so to get their order.

If you want to use kindle during your commuting time, then you choose kindle3, small one. But you're a big reader of magazines, newspapers or you have to look at graphics, like an engineer, then the small kindle won't satisfy your need.

Hope it helps you in some ways.
(I wonder how you managed bumping into my messy blog ^^;
Do you live in Ibaragi?? It's a nice place to live peacefully than Tokyo, I think.)