Apr 1, 2010



(I asked like this...)
Will any of you please help me with English expressions.
I think there are many expressions to refer to men, such as fellow, lads, guys, dude so on, but I can't distinguish and decide which word is best fitted to in certain situations.
Will you give me examples of the way to call "men" in other expressions and also please give me short explanations, like this expression is only used among youngsters, this is very rude way or formal...

Thank you in advance^^


First, I found an article that I think clearly explains what you want to know.

Forms of Address in English

Also, hmm... For the "guys" part, I'll try to explain it only based on my own experience. So it might be a different case for others.

-formal or old expressions, barely used
Hmm... none that I can think of, or more like none I've used in real life. There are those I've only really read in books, such as "My Lord" / "My Lady", "Your Highness", Sir/Ma'am (this one I think is usually used in letters if there's no specific addressee)

-often used
"you", "we", "guys" (you might hear "Hey guys!" a lot when someone is talking to a group, like an audience or a team, but this doesn't necessarily mean they are only talking to the men. it means everyone ^^)

-rude, better not to use
Hmmm... this is pretty tricky, and more dependent on how you use it. See, normally "idiot" and "bastard" is rude, and usually used towards someone is really angry.

But! There are cases when a close friend can also call you "You idiot" if you do something stupid. But that doesn't mean they really think you're an idiot, but more like saying it as an expression. Also, if something really nice happense to someone, like if your friend wins in a lucky draw or finds a really nice girlfriend, then his friends might call him "lucky bastard" but doesn't necessarily mean they think he's a bastard... ^^;

I hope that helps even just a little. ^-^


どういたしまして~ ^-^ It's nice when language learners help each other ne ♥

Hmmm... I agree with debchan that it depends on the context as well. And yeah... 'fellow' 'dudu' or 'lad' sounds more Brittish, than American English.

But for me, I would probably go by either age or how the speaker is related to the one being spoken of.


-if it was someone older or of higher rank (ex: superior in the company), it might be okay to use "Poor kid."

-if it was someone almost of the same age, or someone close like a friend, I'd go with "Poor guy"

-if it was someone neutral, like the narrator (or used in the context of narration), or an acquaintance and not really close to him, then I'd go with "He is a pitiful man." Because to me, this sounds kind of ummmm how to say it... just stating a fact with no feelings attached? Where as "poor guy/kid" sounds as if the speaker does feel sorry for the person.

...Is what I think ^^;

(I questioned)
There is a line in mange I'm translating now and that is
"He is a pitiful man."
Does it sound natural if I use "fellow" "dude" "lad" "guy" or "kid" instead of "man?"

In my opinion, it would depend on who was talking. "Fellow" is more British than American, unless the American was someone of higher education and/or social status. "Dude" as referring to a specific person is usually spoken by someone younger, and really not used that much. ("Dude!" as in an exclamation of surprise or attention getting is more common; like "Hey!") "Lad" is also not something most Americans say (very British) and almost always referring to someone younger than the speaker. "Kid" very American (in Britain a kid is a young goat) and also referring to someone younger. "Man" sound a little stiff in the context you're using. I would use "guy."

Or you could go about it another way. If the line "He's a pitiable man" is spoken dialogue, it is literally "telling" the reader "he is a pitiable man." You could "show" the reader instead by having the character say "That poor guy." or "Poor guy" or "That poor bastard." or even "I feel sorry for him" or "I pity him." But it all depends on context. ("That poor bastard" is a bit rough and would generally be used by a man talking to another man and is usually used when the poor bastard in question had something life changing happen in a bad way; lost his job, got caught cheating by his wife, had his house burn down, etc. It's understood that "bastard" is not a slur in this context; it's meant to convey how far the unlucky person has fallen and how truly pitiable he is.)

Or, just to give you another option, you could remove the reference to "man" or "guy" all together and use instead, "He's to be pitied." However, in my opinion it's almost as stiff as "He's a pitiable man."


Well, since I've been living in US I only know 'American English.'
In America, word 'man' is usually used when it is to emphasize that the person at issue is a male.
As others have already quoted, word 'guy' or 'fellow (fellah, in American slang)' is more used. I think 'guy' is the most common word used. If it's between people of close relationship, such as father-son, or close adult male friends, word 'chap' is also used, though it's a bit rude and informal. Word 'dude' is more used between children or young ones. When used among adults, it's quite informal.

Keep up the good work with your translations!
某タドキストさんが、さらりと使う、”Hey guys” It'd be real cool if I'd ever be able to use it nonchalantly someday...

No comments: