Jul 7, 2009

why I can enjoy English even having through Japanese Engihsh eduation

I can use English in some ways and I enjoy it very much, but almost all the Japanese are not able to use English after having studied it more than six years at school
Now I can tell why I can use it.
It's because I was NOT a good student at high school, and I didn't study and couldn't understand English at all.
So I chose to teach myself in my own style, and after all it turned out to be right.

Now, I'm a private teacher of English for a third grader at high school.
I don't think I'm appropriate being a teacher of her because I have no experiences of teaching someone who're going to take entrance examinations for college, so I don't have much ideas what I need to teach her to let her pass the exams.
However she has quit studying under another teacher and come to me..., so anyway I've got to be of her help in one way or another...

Then, it's a test season at high school now, so yesterday I checked if she's ready to take an English test,
aaaand I was blown up knowing how much difficult things she has to remember for a test.
Tons of not a bit useful, needless, and absurd expressions and grammar rules are listed up on her notebook. How come someone who are still in intermediate level have to study such complicated expressions such as "no less than" and "not less than."
She also needs to remember quite many idioms.
I do believe knowing certain amount of idioms is necessary at some point to be fluent in English,
but the problem is the way how students are asked to remember them.

For example, in this sentence,
"I can't get rid of this cough."
it's quite reasonable if you're going to keep in mind this idiom with a whole sentence.
But the test will be given in this style,
"fill in the blank, Q1 I can't get rid ( ) this cough.

Whaaat! it's only testing the ability of memorization.
What's the point if she was able to answer this question correctly, but got no idea how this idiom is actually used.
My student doesn't seem to understand the necessity of remembering the whole sentence and is only happy to keep in mind one word "of." with the littlest energy. sigh...

I know some reliable, truthworthy teachers at high schools, so I'm a bit reluctant to say this aloud, BUT I really need to appeal this for parents in Japan with children who're going through high school English education.

BE AWARE! Your children might look learning English at school, but the chances are
that they will soon realize they can use no English at all after six years of hard work and give up mastering English, thinking that their hard work was not enough to master English.
No no no! it's not because of your lack of study that you can't use English, but the stupid English education in Japan is...

高校生をお持ちのみなさん、どういう英語の授業を受けているのか、点検したほうがいいですよ。
長い時間をかけ、ただただ、英語は難しい、努力が足りないからできない、と、暗示をかけられているかもしれません。
本当にdumbなのはteacherかもしれないのに・・・
蘊蓄の宝庫だからって、説明が上手だからって、本当に英語が使える、使っている先生とは限らないのです。

No comments: