Apr 26, 2009

better prepared enough for Whaling issues

One time I was reading some articles about whaling in wikipedia, I came across very discriminatory racial opinions, but several days after that, that article was somehow corrected and rude words were gone.
And another time while I was listening to a podcast about environmentally conscious lifestyle run by two American ladies, they made some comments about whaling and Japan and I was a little bit irritated with their one-sided comments, which didn't seem to be made based on precise raw information but only on common knowledge from media.

Those encounters about whaling issues are not rare if you surf around the net when Japanese whaling ships go out to the sea every year, and some of the information scattered around the world by the net doesn't always try to show the truth in Japan.
For example, what do you think this article,
http://www.enn.com/wildlife/article/38945
The last part of this article claims as if we, Japanese, can get whale meat just easily as other kind of meat at any supermarket. How about you? Can you buy whale meat somewhere close to your house? Do you buy whale meat as one of everyday necessary food? I don't remember the last time when I bought it or ate it. When I was young and was an elementary schooler, I remember there were some cuisine came with whale meat, but that is more than 30 years ago! Whale meat is not popular and not an necessary item to satisfy our stomach. I can't imagine if I tell my children that they're going to eat some dish with whale meat tonight. mmm, maybe they will skip it...

anyway, if you want to talk about whaling issues, especially with people abroad, you're really needed to be prepared enough with accurate, correct, non-biased information concerning history, eating habit, environment problems and so on. and farther more, you should be aware that how you're going to show date and information is really crucial. I don't think Japanese government is well concerned in this point.

This video includes in the middle an interview of Japanese spokesperson of Whale research.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSA0WuQzmQ&feature=related
I think Japan won't succeed in inviting the people who are opposing whaling to a discussion table unless we have more appealing spokesperson with more fluency of English. Of course he might be a very talented person to be a spokesperson and is supposed to make a perfect, no mistake speech, but I wonder his message will reach and move people with such rigid English...

(なに書いてんだかわかんなくなりましたが、whalingみたいに利害、思惑の絡み合った問題解決には、並の、日本人的にはすごーいって感じる程度の英語力やtacticsでは、世界には通用しないんだろうなと思ったのです。)
----------------------------------
Thanks to Tadoku, I'm so free to write these sentences. It's just amazing I'm writing this much now compared to the anguish required to make only two or three sentences at the beginning of this blog.
This is all thanks to Taodku, but I realise that I don't read or listen English a lot lately as the word "Tadoku" implies. I'm not doing ”多読、多聴,” but I'd rather say,
I'm reading, listening and writing "as the wind blows" 、気の向くまま多読・多聴という感じ。
I'm trying to ignore the strong voice of "should, should" from the people and society around me, such as "should work hard" " should read and watch news and follow current issues" "should read better materials" ...and so on, and only follow the genuine voice of me, and this attitude seems to be working quite well in case of me and Tadoku.

No comments: