Nov 4, 2008

why net chat attracts me a lot.

the other day, tadokist friend left me this comment:
"I'd like you to tell me about your impressions on the writing exchange or conversation on the Internet."

actually, i'm just now having a chat on skype with a young american guy living in New Jersey, while writing this article. ^^
it's been almost half a year since i knew him through language exchange, maybe.
he's interested in Japan, says, he's learned japanese for three months in shinjyuku.
we don't chat so often, about once a month , but it's quite good to have a light conversation and see what he's doing. we're talking, chatting, precisely, about his plan to be a JLT and come to japan again just now.

it's easy, fun, and sometimes offers you a wonderful present, real communication from the bottom of our heart.

that is:
the most beneficial feature of net chatting and writing for me is,
i can communicate with people all over the world without having any prejudice.
when you meet people face to face, then you can't help but to catch too many information, such as age, occupation, nationality, race...,and you might be misguided by your prejudice.
you can't be fully open to the person from the beginning of your encounter and it takes long time to start to have a meaningful conversation.
some might be able to have real conversation only over alcohol, i guess.

however, knowing nothing about the person you're talking on the net enable you to have amazingly profound experience and exchange considerate words with friends you 've never ever met.

these are some comments from my mail friend and I'm truly encouraged by her message.
what do you say?

my friend said:
You seem to have such an active life! Just like ourselves. Tell me, is this the norm in Japan to live this way?

From the point of view of women here, i should have stayed at work and be an active and ''free'' woman''. ''Free'' meaning not depending financially on your husband or partner. Women here are obsessed with being equals to men. They want ''freedom''. But they aren't free. They just follow other rules, that is all. I beleive i have acheived a certain degree of freedom, i try to always do what is best for me and my familly and not what is the ''norm''. But it takes hard work, and sometimes it is down right impossible.

I wrote back:
Just the moment I read your mail this morning, I was really relieved and became proud of myself being not average Japanese with your considerable message. Japan is a harmonious society. It's good actually, but at the same time,you cannot help but feel you're being chained by something invisible in many situations if you are a person who values your own ideas or opinions.

hooray for friendship over the net!

No comments: